Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Backyard Update

I stopped and talked to my neighbor yesterday and decided to ask him if he knew at all about the history of our woods. To my delight, he supplied me with a bit of the information I was looking for - it seems our backyard was formerly part of a very large apple orchard! The original farmhouse (which is at the northeast end of our dirt road) dates back to the mid to late 1800s and all of the property around us used to farmed by the family. In fact, our neighbor said that up until the last ten years or so, some of the old apple trees were still struggling to grow in the woods. I hiked through the woods with this new information and couldn't find any fruit trees at all, but that's not surprising since they would be over a hundred years old!

A bit of the puzzle is put into place!

No comments: